Kennedy Ave 37B-C, 22442235, LEFKOSIA (NICOSIA)
49 Ayiou Athanasiou, 25736220, LEMESOS (LIMASSOL)
Mon-Tue, Thu-Fri 9:00-19:00, Wed-Sat 9:00-14:00
One of the recent Cypriot and Proud initiatives is to write more about wineries and local products, as part of this, we will be exploring methods to access local and imported wine, events around the topic and we shall be sharing any information (as well as creating a new category) on these topics which could be of use.
Given the project, Maison du Vin was a natural target. As I hadn’t had the opportunity to look into what one could find in Cyprus before last year, discovering a selection like this was surely a surprise. Not only the shop itself, but also its products and even the shop owners are certainly an example of what a “bon vivant” would be looking for on our small island.
Instead of going on and on about the fantastic wine, champagne and cognac and spirit selection I will share what I didn’t know and was intrigued by once I did find out about Maison du Vin:
- The shop exists for the last 15 years and had started off with a shop in Limassol. The existing shop in Nicosia opened shortly after
- Victor Papadopoulos the founder of Maison du Vin, who has lived in France for many years, is also the president of “La Confrérie de la Chaîne de Rôtisseurs” for Cyprus, the oldest Gastronomic Union in the world, which was founded in 1248
- Apart from retail they are also one of the biggest wholesalers of imported wine, champagne, cognac and spirits across Cyprus and it is very likely that, the wine you order at any restaurant came from them
- They are the exclusive agents for some of the best wine and champagne producers in the word including E.Gulgal, Casa Lapostolle, the oldest champagne in the world, Ruinart, as well as one of the best Greek wine producers, Alpha Estate
- What you may be more interested to know is that they sometimes have events for wine or champagne tasting, open to everyone who would appreciate it (more details here)
- What is even more important is that, every holiday season they have a list of well-priced recommended wines that change every year (and it is not a trick, I have tried them personally) that makes it very easy for those who (like me) don’t like to buy wine from the same region or producer all the time
Let’s face it, it is very difficult and highly unlikely to master the art of wine. Most of us want to go and buy supplies of the best quality at the lowest price, whatever that might be. Even if you know the type of grape and region you want, or even the specific producer and year, wouldn’t you want to try something new at times? The fact that this is a service offered in both, the Limassol and Nicosia shops is a very big plus just remember: don’t be shy to ask! You will regret it later. I certainly often regret pretending to be a wine snob.
What is even more interesting (and relevant) is that, Maison du Vin and Cypriot and Proud will work together to give honest recommendations for different tastes and occasions (Maison Du Vin will mostly be recommending and Cypriot and Proud will mostly be drinking and writing). Stay tuned!
(0) Readers Comments
Nope. Although that would have been ideal :)
I also think that it's really important that they have gluten free and
Is the owner Spanish?
there is an imense pleasure to know more about this historical ancient