Meet my latest obsession: cashew frosting. It’s actually better than sugar frosting. Paired with carrot cakes tastes even yummier! Organic carrots, honey, delicious apple and pear sauce and raw cashews are just a sample of the goodness in this cupcakes. The kids went crazy with the frosting and talked about the cupcakes for days. I used them as treats but you could easily give them away as nameday favours (given the amount of namedays in November!). I also used a cup of brown sugar, but given the amount of cupcakes it’s actually not that much.
For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups (272g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1.25 tsp Baking Powder
- 1.25 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 9 oz (250g) Grated Carrot
- 2 Flax Eggs
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Vegetable Oil (I used olive)
- 2 Tbsp Lupilu Apple and Pear sauce
- 1 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
For the Cashew Cream Frosting:
- 1 cup (150g) Raw Cashews (soaked for 1 hour in hot water)
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix together.
- Grate the carrots and add to the bowl.
- Prepare your flax eggs by mixing 2 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal with 6 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute.
- Add the flax eggs, vegetable oil, apple and pear sauce, vinegar and vanilla and mix in very well.
- The batter will be very thick.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and divide the batter evenly between them.
- Place into the oven to bake for around 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, check if they’re cooked by inserting a toothpick into the center of one of the cupcakes. If it comes out clean, it’s cooked.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by soaking the cashews in hot water for 1 hour.
- Then rinse them off and add them to the blender with the melted coconut oil, date honey or maple syrup, vanilla, lemon juice and salt and blend until very very smooth.
- When your cupcakes are completely cooled, spread frosting on top of each cupcake and immediately sprinkle with crushed walnuts.
(0) Readers Comments
Nope. Although that would have been ideal :)
I also think that it's really important that they have gluten free and
Is the owner Spanish?
there is an imense pleasure to know more about this historical ancient