Vouni (follow the signs), 25944328
Tue-Sun 12:00-16:00, 19:30-23:00
Food: [rating:3.5] 3.5/5
Service: [rating:3] 3/5
Ambiance: [rating:3.5] 3.5/5
Probably the best mountain restaurant in Cyprus because:
1) Even though it is done up it is very much traditional.
In the center of the beautiful and unspoiled village of Vouni, including a small courtyard, a lobby where they put tables for smokers as it is all glass (“tzamaria”) and an inside place with stone walls.
2) The food is traditional but not standard, and very creative.
The cuisine is Greek with a set menu that changes every week,
3) The food is A LOT.
Even though you might want to order extra of some a la carte choices DON’T unless substituted from some of the standard courses as it is unlikely you will eat everything.
4) The dessert is not a simple traditional sweetened fruit, but a chocolate “orgasm” as Fedra calls it, as well as other pies.
5) The owners (an actress and a theater director) are not only super friendly, but super cool. Don’t worry, you will know who they are.
6) It is not a hangout for christenings, kids birthdays, weddings, or any other local “event” like a lot of village restaurants, but a small and cute place that gets full with normal people that like to eat good food. Bookings are advised.
7) The prices are reasonable, especially relative to the other places around. 20EUR per set menu is not extremely cheap, but the quality and quantity justify every cent.
I got frowned upon regarding Orea Ellas as many people some think the service has an “attitude” and the food is not that good. I would like to emphasize that the owner and cook might be particular, but when I don’t mind as I find them entertaining. Furthermore, when the food is good I don’t really care about the service at a taverna (this is not the case when I pay for good service too like in more up market places). Secondly, I particularly like the fact that you will never get bored of it as the menu changes often and this makes it, in my opinion, much more interesting. After 15 years it is still worth visiting.