Hydra has been loved by many foreign writers, poets and actors for its beauty and sophistication. Being rich with fantastic architecture, it is definitely one of the most romantic spots in Greece. The island is merely 37 nautical miles from Piraeus and is separated from Peloponnese by a narrow strip of water. Strong characteristics of the island are its small streets and the fact that there are no cars, but only donkeys.
Holiday Hydra Villa: a fantastic house with modern amenities while keeping Hydra’s traditional building style. It has four large ensuite bedrooms on four floors. Ideal for large groups. For reservations call +357-99437428
Bratsera Hotel: The sponge factory has been restored and turned into one of the most charming hotels in Greece with great hospitality, a homemade breakfast and an excellent restaurant. From €140.
Orloff: It was built in 1796 and restored with full respect to the initial structure. This boutique hotel has only 9 rooms and one suite. From €134.
Omilos: the restaurant is located right by the sea with a panoramic view and fantastic Mediterranean flavors. Tel 2298053800
Kseri Elia or best known as Ntouskos: In a small square there is this unpretentious, cute and traditional restaurant. Let the owner recommend a selection of fresh and well cooked fish. Must try the spaghetti with lobster! Tel 2298052886
Paradosiako: One of the oldest tavernas with only few tables with very tasteful salads and delicious “ makaranoda tou psara” (fisherman’s pasta). Tel 2298054155
Ydronetta café & bar: Their mojito is a “must-try”! Tel 2298054160
Amalour: Tel 2298029680
– Don’t miss the best “souvlaki” of the island “Ke kremidi”. Tel 2298053099
– Buy a box with the famous sweet of Hydra marzipan from Tsagkaris confectionery
– Go around the touristic shops for beautiful silver jewelry at good prices
– Charming strolls in the beautiful narrow streets are a must!
– Beaches in Hydra are located away from the town and are mostly pebble or rocky with beautiful clear waters. I would say it is not so appropriate for a week of beach holiday, but more for a long weekend anytime, or a short break in Easter time
It is very easy to reach from Piraeus port with the standard ferry (about 3 hours) or a hydrofoil that takes substantially less time. You can buy tickets directly at the port