Who doesn’t like an easy to make pasta that uses seasonal produce? I always feel that summer is one of the best times of the year to make pasta. It’s so easy to make a delicious tasting pasta with basically whatever ingredients are sitting in your fridge and a few basic staples. I am back in Canada at the moment, but in reality the summer produce I used to make this pasta is virtually the same summer produce you would find in Cyprus. My cousin is visiting and we have been indulging in some big home cooked meals. So my plans to diet and exercise are happily being shoved until “tomorrow”. But recently my cousin and her boyfriend went to Seattle for a few days and this made the house feel a bit empty. It also left us without any reason to cook any large meals. So when I found myself alone today for lunch, I decided to make a quick pasta with whatever fresh farmers’ market produce we had. It’s a really tasty recipe that gains a lot of salty flavour from the anchovies, onions, olives and capers, which I love. I always love my vegetables slightly on the undercooked side and I also feel that this helps retain more of the nutrients and flavours than frying them to death. So I’d like to think of the sauce as healthy too. Enjoy!
1 pack Mitsides Penne Pasta
1/4 onion (finely chopped)
1 tsp finely chopped garlic clove
1 anchovy fillet
5-6 kalamata olives
1 tsp capers
1 small yellow zucchini (about 2 tbs chopped zucchini)
1/4 chopped large red pepper
10 cherry tomatoes
a small bunch chopped arugula
olive oil for frying
salt & pepper to taste
chopped red chilly pepper to taste (I added a few flakes)
1. Cook the Mitsides penne pasta to taste.
2. Meanwhile, add 1 tbs olive oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Add the onion, once transparent, add the garlic.
3. Once the garlic begins to smell fragrant add the anchovy fillet, kalamata olives and capers. If you are adding red chilly pepper, add it now.
4. After one minute of stir frying, add the red pepper, yellow zucchini and cherry tomatoes. Let the cherry tomatoes release some of their juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Once the sauce is cooked to your taste, add the cooked Mitsides penne pasta and stir it together.
6. Serve and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese.