It’s most definitely summer fruit season. The markets are filled with cherries, strawberries, and the most gorgeous peaches. I went the other day and came away with bags and bags of fruit. I knew looking at my bounty there was a crumble and some ice cream in there somewhere. I opted for a peach crumble, rather than my usual apple. And I made some homemade creamy strawberry and lemon ice cream. I really love the combination of a creamy ice cream with a fruit dessert. I also really enjoy making crumbles. It was one of the first desserts I learned to make. I am always surprised at how easy the process is and how the end result is always such gooey perfection. I hope you enjoy.
For more recipes, visit the Afrodite’s Kitchen website
Level of Difficulty: 1/5
Preparation Time: about 20 minutes
Cooking Time: about 25 minutes
Makes one large crumble for about 6 people
for the crumble:
3/4 cup Mitsides Plain Flour (Farina “00”)
2/3 cup organic oats
3/4 blanched almonds
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
115 grams very cold unsalted butter (cut into small cubes)
for the filling:
8 thinly sliced peaches
1 tsp vanilla extract
juice of 1 lemon
1 tbs maple syrup
1 tbs brandy
1 tsp cinnamon
1. In a large bowl, add all of the filling ingredients and stir together. Let this rest. Preheat the oven to 175C.
2. Prepare the crumble. In a food processor add all of the crumble ingredients except for the butter and pulse until the mixture no longer looks like sandy and begins to get a bit clumpy. Then add the butter and pulse until it comes together – it should still look clumpy.
3. In a large dish place the filling on the bottom of the pan. Spread the crumble on top of the peaches with your fingers.
4. Bake for about 25-30 minutes until the peach filling begins to bubble through the crumble.
5. Serve with a creamy-type scoop of ice cream on top.