I am back in Victoria. As I write this, I have a fire on and am looking outside the window and the pouring rain. It is most definitely fall. In fact, it feels like the beginning of winter here. It has been so long since I have been able to regularly post on this blog. I am not sure when that time will come again. I am happily settling into my life on the west coast at the moment. Decorating my space, finding a routine. And I am still finishing off the remaining work from the summer – namely the cookbook and work for the Cyprus Tourism Organization. I have lots to post, I just haven’t found the sweet spot routine to beginning sharing it again. Soon. The year that was, has been absolutely life changing and it is only now that some normalcy is beginning to creep in. This recipe is what I had for lunch today. It is a hearty winter salad. Lots of flavour. The saltiness comes through via the bacon, and blue cheese and the sweetness through the honey glazed pears and carrots coupled with the dressing. It is also a nice way to enjoy brussels sprouts if you are not a huge fan of them normally. They are lightly fried in bacon fat, so it is hard not to enjoy this. Anyway, I hope you enjoy and that you are all doing well.
1/2 cup Mitsides Bulgur Wheat (Fine or Coarse)
1 & 1/2 cups sliced Brussels Sprouts
1/4 cup toasted walnuts
3 slices of bacon or lountza, chopped into small squares
1 pear, thinly sliced
5 small carrots, peeled
1 & 1/2 teaspoons honey
1 to 2 tablespoons blue cheese, crumbled into small pieces
olive oil for drizzling
salt and pepper for seasoning
for the dressing
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon grainy mustard
1 teaspoon honey
pinch of salt and pepper
1. Preheat an oven to 175C. In a large non-stick frying pan, toast your walnuts and place them to the side.
2. In a roasting pan, place the carrots. Drizzle a little olive oil over top of the carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Toss the carrots to ensure they are all covered in olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast in an oven for 15 minutes. Then add the pears to the pan, season the same with salt and pepper. Drizzle about 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of honey over top the carrots and pear. Roast for another 7 minutes.
3. Add 1 cup of chicken stock to 1/2 cup of bulgur wheat. Cook the bulgur wheat until half cooked. Turn off the heat, cover the pot with a lid, and let the bulgur wheat cook in its on steam, this will ensure it is light and fluffy.
4. In the large non stick frying pan, add the bacon pieces. Fry until crispy. Remove and let cool. Drain the bacon fat, save for 1 tablespoon. Add the brussels sprouts and fry until dark green, about 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Add the brussels sprouts, bacon, carrots, pears, blue cheese and walnuts to the bulgur wheat and stir together. Stir together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix into the salad. Serve.