This is literally my late grandma’s recipe. One of those recipes which have no “right” quantity of each ingredient, but more of a trial-and-error approach. Either way, I did it! Feel free to add more olive oil if you’re feeling naughty.
I used frozen octopus as it’s becomes softer quicker than fresh octopus. It’s not the same with all fish and meat but it is in fact true for octopus (squid too). I got mine from Foodsaver stores (plus guaranteed bacteria extermination if you are 8 months pregnant 🙂 ).
- Frozen octopus from Foodsaver Stores
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tbs of black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/3 cup high quality olive oil (I used “Chorio” organic olive oil from Foodsaver Stores)
- 2 slices of orange peel
- Salt & pepper to taste
- White or brown rice to serve
- Boil the octopus for 20 minutes, throw away water.
- Chop the octopus. On the stove at medium to high heat add the octopus, cover it with water (around 1 cup or more if necessary). Add all the remaining ingredients.
- Leave it to cook for at least 1hr and 15 minutes, more if necessary. Most of the water should evaporate but some sauce should be left.
- Serve with white or brown rice.
View more on Foodsaver Stores Facebook Page