This blueberry muffin recipe can be used as a muffin recipe, but it works equally as well if you were to pour it into a loaf pan — you just need to adjust the cooking time and take the loaf out of the oven once a skewer poked in the middle comes out clean – at least 30-40 minutes. The other neat thing about this blueberry muffin recipe is that it works equally well with fresh or frozen blueberries, and fresh or carton orange juice. It is my tried and tested blueberry muffin recipe, but with one important addition: Ella Original Granola sprinkled on top of the muffins before baking to give them a little more crunch. And also I paired it with a yellow smoothie – I used the Yellow Smoothie mix from foodhaus, which is so quick and easy – just like the pack says. You add juice and/or milk and you are good to go. My uncle can’t get enough of these. OK, here is the recipe:
1/2 cup rolled oats (quick cooking)*
1/2 cup Chios Orange Juice or freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup Valio Unsalted Butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 & 1/2 cups flour*
1 & 1/4 teaspoons baking powder*
1/2 teaspoon Maldon Perfectly Crushed Salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda*
1 cup frozen Ardo Blueberries (tossed in 1 tablespoon flour) or fresh blueberries
For the topping:
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon*
2 tablespoons Deliciously Ella Original Granola
* All ingredients available at foodhaus except for those marked with an asterisk.
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. In a bowl combine the rolled oats and the orange juice, stir well, and leave to soak.
2. Using a hand held mixer, cream the butter and sugar together and then add the eggs one at a time and beat until creamy.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
4. Mix the oat and orange mixture into the butter mixture. Then stir in the flour mixture and blueberries.
5. Spoon the batter into muffin holders in a muffin pan. Makes about 12 muffins.
6. Mix the granola, sugar and cinnamon. And sprinkle about a teaspoon or so over top each muffin before baking.
7. Bake for about 15 to 22 minutes – depends on how hot your oven is!