I have tried quite a few lemon pie, lemon cake and lemon bar recipes. This is my first vegan one and I must say it is one to keep. I am almost shocked on how good this pie is, sweet and lemony with a hit of coconut flavour. Note that it can be served as cut lemon bars or a lemon pie (and can be served with whipped coconut cream as well). In all honesty I didn’t have an 8cm x 8cm tray so I baked it as a pie.
Ingredients from Alpha Mega
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or essence
- 1/3 cup lemon juice + zest (juice two lemons, and also zest them)
- 1 cup coconut milk from a can
- 2 tbs corn starch
- 2 tbs coconut oil (melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp turmeric for colour, optional
- pinch of salt
- Melt the coconut oil and place cooking paper on a 8cm x 8cm tray or pie tray.
To make the crust
- Blend or process ingredients for the crust, press into the pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 170C or until lightly browned on top. Set pan aside while you make filling.
Make Lemon Filling
- In a mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil and coconut milk, and mix until smooth. Then, add the maple syrup, vanilla and turmeric.
- Turn on the stove to medium heat, add the lemon juice and stir until warm.Then add the first mixture and the corn starch. Stir for 15 minutes.You are whisking to remove lumps and encourage mixture to thicken, as a gravy would. You don’t want to over cook. After 15 minutes, the mixture should be thick but runny. It will thicken in the refrigerator.
- Take off the heat and pour onto the crust. Refrigerate uncovered for 3 hours or until set.
- Cut into squares or serve as a pie decorating with lemon slices, lavender flowers, lemon swirls or grated lemon zest.